   Re: [xml-dev] Design as, one hopes, not premature optimization

> > From: Uche Ogbuji [mailto:uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com]
> > "Design is a kind of optimization, as Tommie Usdin likes to point out"
> >
> I believe implementation is the last step of design, and optimization
comes
> after that.

There are two types of optimizations that can occur here.

On the one hand we have optimization on the design level,
where certain objects exhibit similar behaviour and their is a general
gravitation towards an 'elegant' single solution around a cluster of
similarliy defined problems.

On the other hand there is the machine specific, yoga type contortions that
the machine you sit on demand you to perform before they relinquish those
last bits of CPU cycles you so desperately crave.

I generally follow these steps
1 Capture the problem set (requirements),
2 do a quick skeleton design
3 proof it with a mockup
4 update requirements
5 elegant design / optimization
6 implement
7 polish and release

Note:
cycles 4-7 gets repeated for a succesful product launch (success usually a
requirement of need as opposed to an elegant design)

my 2 cents :)
- Lou

Louai Munajim
Architecture and Development