   RE: [xml-dev] On the aparent importance of emoticons (was "Design as, o

It's a good case for out of line markup.  Sure it is stiff.
It should only be used in situations where expression of
intensionality is important.  Importance is relative
and metadata is expensive.  Caveat vendor.

I had to see jokes and colloquialisms start flame wars
on the old comp-text-sgml and VRML lists before I really
understood the impacts of locale and situatedness.
Then I developed a thicker skin and quit caring.
I'm much better now. ;-)

The real fun of it would be to feed the email threads
with HumanML annotations to X3D-based avatars in a
sort of ListWorld that could then simulate the
discussions as if the players were face-to-face.
A more revealing mirror one cannot imagine, and
it would put the Osbournes and the fat blonde to
shame. Finally a form of original entertainment
would emerge from the WWW.

len