   Re: [xml-dev] 3 possible approaches for representing concepts

Chiusano Joseph scripsit:

> Yes - all great points (thank you to everyone!). I also think that one
> disadvantage to approaches #2 and #3 (from the original e-mail - these
> approaches used attributes) is that using purely W3C Schema, it is not
> possible to enforce mandatory/optional if, given the value of the
> attributes, the entire "set" (element/attributes/values) may be
> considered mandatory in some cases, but optional in others (according to
> the data requirements.

So much the worse for WXS, to be sure.  RNG screams through this kind of
co-occurrence constraints.  A nice simple example is requiring that
country="US" coexist with state="xx" where xx is a valid state code, and
country="CA" coexist with province="xx" where xx is a valid province code.

--
Is a chair finely made tragic or comic? Is the          John Cowan
portrait of Mona Lisa good if I desire to see           jcowan@reutershealth.com