   Character Information Item

Hello,

I had a question about the [character code] property
of the character information item.  Here is what the
infoset specs say about this property:

"The ISO 10646 character code (in the range 0 to
#x10FFFF, though not every value in this range is a
legal XML character code) of the character."

So is this property suppose to contain the hex number
of the character or the character itself.  The reason
why I'm confused is because XSV always produces either
the number 10 or 9 for this property, but Xerces-J
outputs the actual characters for this property.

Thanks,
 Navid.