   Re: [xml-dev] What are people using SVG for?

David Megginson wrote:

> Because Postscript is a procedural language, there's inevitably going
> to be something you can do with it that you cannot do as efficiently
> (or at all) with a declarative language.  Whatever that something is,
> I doubt it's worth the complexity tradeoff, but all the same, don't be
> surprised when someone pulls it out.

I once wrote filling-and-justification code in PostScript for a tech
manual authored in something like XML.  It only worked because these
were little nuggets that by definition had to fit on a page.  And it
sure made the printer run slow.  But they looked great.
--
Cheers, Tim Bray
         (ongoing fragmented essay: http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/)