   Re: [xml-dev] What are people using SVG for?

Thomas B. Passin wrote:
> It has been nearly ten years since I worked with Postscript, so my memory is
> hazy.  Aside from font metrics, it seems to me that it was easier for me to
> scale a drawing without scaling the font size.  I found that to be a problem
> for me with SVG.  I suppose I did not work hard enough to get a balance
> between defining bits and pieces with separate transforms, vs fewer
> transforms applying on a larger scale.  But as I remember it, I rarely had
> trouble understanding to move things around and scale them with PS, yet
> still label them with a font whose size I chose (and which stayed unscaled).

I've been wondering if that should be a core feature or not. It's certainly
useful in a number of cases though it may have accessibility issues (which means
we'd need to differentiate between mutltiple types of zooming). It's not really
complicated to implement dynamically, I'd expect there to be quite typical
libraries for that when SVG 1.2 comes out.

> Also, because PS is a pretty capable programming language, it was easy to
> compute things on the fly when I needed to.  You understand, I am comparing
> my PS experiences with generating SVG without a language binding (e.g.,
> using a stand-alone stylesheet).  From my point of view, the PS program was
> a sort of equivalent to the results of a transformaton that produces svg,
> because in both cases, I would feed the result to the renderer and get some
> image displayed.

Yes. In SVG the approach would be more to compute stuff upon display, inside the
viewer, using SVG DOM scripting.

> I cannot call any of those methods when transforming xml into svg with an
> ordinary stylesheet, AFAICT, since I have do DOM available to work with.  Is
> that not right?  But they ought to be very useful where there is a language
> binding available.

There are language bindings, the most frequently used one being Ecmascript. That
usually suffices and is done by the SVG viewer when it displays the SVG. I've
frequently been tempted to spec and write XSLT extension functions for SVG but
I've never had time.

--
Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Research Engineer, Expway        http://expway.fr/