   stability

There's some fascinating if fiery reading here about the various XML
formats used by Apple in OS X and assorted applications:

http://nslog.com/archives/2003/04/08/
deatherage_drivel_on_xs_open_formats.php

or:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?F22812D34

Apart from changing the subject from the usual Microsoft-stuff, this
discussion did a nice job of making me think about what I value in XML
formats.

Documentation is great, schemas are useful, but stability is actually
more important to me in practice.  Change is necessary and good, but I
either want tiny changes in place that don't break existing code or
large improvements that require me to rebuild my code but don't confuse
the old code.  Schemas can contribute to this process, but they're just
one relatively small tool for getting there.

I wonder how long it'll be before major refactoring sets in on the XML
vocabularies developed thus far.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!