   Re: [xml-dev] ANN: White Paper - "Using OWL to Avoid SyntacticRigor Mor

Roger L. Costello wrote:

> The namespace of the elements indicates the Ontology.  As I mentioned
> earlier, an Ontology can evolve in a distributed fashion.  There need
> not be a centralized committee of experts.  Besides, even if there was,
> I would argue that creating a centralized committee to create a logical
> design (i.e., an Ontology), and then allowing (encouraging!) diversity
> of physical expressions ain't a bad way to go!
>
> Naturally, you will most likely want to involve domain experts in
> deciding what are the fundamental terms and their relationships.

Some of the most interesting (practical) results in this area are in
reverse engineering ontologies and domain models from existing data
sources. That is, knowledge scraping seems to work as well or better
than any top down approach - which is both consistent with Web
technologies and avoids streaks of NIH, which tends to plague
ontology work.

Bill de hÓra
--
Propylon