   Re: [xml-dev] ANN: White Paper - "Using OWL to Avoid SyntacticRigor Mor

In a message dated 18/04/2003 10:59:05 GMT Daylight Time, dpawson@nildram.co.uk writes:

So what's the high uptake app that makes use of a really-useful ontology?

Dave,

I am not sure if you are asking about existing or potential high uptake applications.

If the latter I would suggest intelligent search engines as one possibility. I suspect that a very large percentage of this list spend time each day/week looking for *something* on Google. If we could specify that search more precisely and find the information that matches what we really want without having to scroll through screens of URLs with summaries and then scroll through each URL we decide to look at that would be a huge improvement.

It seems to me that that would be a potentially enormous uptake application.

I would be interested in the comments of those more OWLish than me how good a fit an OWL approach might be to that problem - putting aside for the moment the need to get people to express the data in either a "logical model" or "physical representation" that would allow such an approach.

So far, it seems to me, that the suggested potential of XML for improved search engines hasn't really arrived. In essence, that isn't too surprising since XML defines syntax and what we want when we are searching are well-targeted semantics.

Andrew Watt