   Re: [xml-dev] What is XML's appropriate place in an office suite?

seairth@seairth.com (Seairth Jacobs) writes:
>In the end, I think the altruism can be translated into something like
>"if the vendors make it easier for the geeks, the geeks can make it
>easier for the average users"...

That's certainly my take on it for word processors - geeks can build
familiar-looking templates (or should be able to), users don't need to
know much about it, and both the geeks and the users have access to the
information in forms they find useful.

For spreadsheets, the same scenario may be true but I have to admit that
I really like the idea of being able to store data in one file (likely
XML) and the analysis in a spreadsheet, making it reusable across
multiple files.  The line between power user and programmer seems much
blurrier for spreadsheets than for word processors.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!