   Re: [xml-dev] What is the data here?

On Sat, 2003-04-19 at 06:00, AndrewWatt2000@aol.com wrote:

> The data in its data container whether that is a .doc or .xls or other file
> format is something signficantly, but perhaps subtly, different from the
> plain data on paper which latter is indisputably yours and only yours
> (assuming you didn't steal the data or similar).

I see where you're going, and no I don't agree. In a text retrieval
system or data warehouse perhaps. The whole is then greater than the sum
of its parts. There's also the question of who did the work. Lexis-Nexis
runs the computers and loads and backs up the data rather than just
leasing the tools. A very different contribution to the job rather than
just swapping a CD for cash. The vendor's software is giving you the
capability to do things you couldn't otherwise do. In a word processor
document all the value in the document is still the document.

> It is that combination of data and its proprietary data container that I am
> suggesting is de facto "jointly owned".

Or 'held to ransom' as the case may be. Yes the de fscto situation
exists. I fully understand why this is of benefit to the software
vendors. It's equally obvious why cracking the situation is good for the
people on this list.

I continue to wait for you to give any reason that that situation can
benefit end users/data owners. I accept that the proprietary situation
can be _just as good_:[the one page announcement, printed copied read
and forgotten, eg.] But you have yet to enunciate a scenario which is
better for the users.

I got into sgml as the resident geek for a small time legal CD
publisher. That's end user. Proprietary file formats did me no good, and
a lot of harm. What end user do they benefit?

Frank