   RE: [xml-dev] Joint ownership of the data-dataContainer combinati on

At 10:52 21/04/2003 -0500, Doug Rudder wrote:

><betty>I think WordPerfect (Corel) did a nice job (not perfect) of
>including SGML and now XML into the WordPerfect product.  The compiled
>XML application could be given to the end user.  The end user could
>provide XML data where required but could still use WordPerfect
>as a daily word processor.  XML is embedded in the product as
>an add-on and those who aren't interested aren't bothered by it.</betty>
>
>This is one of the reasons I use WordPerfect at home now. I can load my own
>DTD and XML files and take them back and forth between home and work, as
>well as use them in most other XML editing applications. This is part of the
>point of XML; it is vendor/platform/format independent.

For me it was 99% of the point of XML.
That neutrality enables information to be archived with a nominal
confidence that it will be usable when dusted off in n (n <15) years
and used with the tools of the time.

Since I've never seen an editor that a user familiar with Word can use
with XML with minimal training, this office 2003 was viewed at work
with a good deal of hope.

Ah well.

regards DaveP