   Re: [xml-dev] PSVI Question

Navid <silencer2020@yahoo.ca> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I had a PSVI question I was hoping someone could help
> me out with.  The [validation attempted] property for
> an attribute should be assigned a 'full' value if it's
>  strictly assessed and 'none' if it's not.
>
> An attribute is NOT strictly assessed (according to
> 'Validation Rule: Schema-Validity Assessment
> (Attribute)') if one of clause 1 or 2 of 'Attribute
> Locally Valid (§3.2.4)' does NOT hold.  Clause 2 of
> 'Attribute Locally Valid (§3.2.4)' is:
>
> 2) Its {type definition} must not be absent.
>
> So according to the above my interpretation is that an
> attribute declaration such as <attribute name="att1"/>
> is NOT strictly assessed, since it has its type
> missing.  Thus, the [validation attempted] property
> should be 'none', but both Xerces and XSV output
> 'full'.  Did I misunderstand something here?

Just that the XML representation of a component, in this case an
attribute declaration, is not the cmoponent itself.  In this case the
mapping rules say that such a representation corresponds to an
attribute declaration with {type definition} set to xs:anySimpleType.
So the component _does_ have a type definition, and it will get used
at validation time, and so Xerces and XSV are correct.

ht
                      Half-time member of W3C Team