   Re: [xml-dev] XML 1.1 grinds to halt?

tbray@textuality.com (Tim Bray) writes:
>> Time is on XML 1.1's side:  even Java is only just reaching Unicode
>>3.2 just as Unicode 4 is released.
>
>Really?  I just looked at a recent set of Java docs, and it's pretty
>clear that a Java char isn't really a character, it's a UTF-16
>codepoint, and the semantics of String are wrong for non-BMP
>characters, and that the attempt at UTF-8 support remains pretty
>laughably nonstandard and wrong.  I'd be *delighted* to hear that I'm
>looking at wrong/obsolete docs.  Pointers anyone? -Tim

While I'd love to throw away the code I've written for surrogates, I
suspect that the update Rick is talking about affect functionality
beyond the String class and char primitive - that other parts of Java
are learning to deal with surrogates.  It's been a while since I looked
into this in depth, though.

That's still a good thing, though it's not precisely what I'd like to
have.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!