   Re: [xml-dev] Schema style and parser performance

Let's see...

Venetian Blind model: Uses named (global) complex types whose child
elements are local - for example:

<xsd:element name="Address" type="AddressType"/>

<xsd:complexType name="AddressType">
    <xsd:sequence>
        <xsd:element name="Street" type="xsd:string"/>
        <xsd:element name="City" type="xsd:string"/>
        <xsd:element name="State" type="xsd:string"/>
        etc.
    </xsd:sequence>
</xsd:complexType>

Russian Doll model: Uses anonymous (local) complex types, and each
element is declared inside its parent element in the same way it would
appear in the instance document - for example:

<xsd:element name="Address">
    <xsd:complexType>
        <xsd:sequence>
            <xsd:element name="Street" type="xsd:string"/>
            <xsd:element name="City" type="xsd:string"/>
            <xsd:element name="State" type="xsd:string"/>
            etc.
        </xsd:sequence>
    </xsd:complexType>
</xsd:element>

So with Venetian Blind, the parser would need to associate the datatype
for the "Address" element by matching on the datatype name
(AddressType).

I would say that parser performance should not enter into the equation
here, as this is a very straightforward, simple action for a parser to
take. In my opinion, writing a stylesheet to convert formats would not
be worth the effort, and the processing cycles taken up by the execution
of the stylesheet would probably be greater than the time the parser
would have taken to process the Venetian Blind format in the first
place.

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

Paul Spencer wrote:

> We have all seen the various styles of WXS schema in use: Russian
> Doll, with everything nested, Venetian Blind, full of global complex
> type definitions, and Salami Slice, with global element definitions
> accessed using "ref" attributes.
>
> Has anyone considered the effect of these different models on parser
> performance, either from a theoretical or practical view?
>
> I am considering whether it is worth writing a stylesheet to convert a
> venetian blind design to a russian doll model as application
> performance is critical.
>
> Regards
>
> Paul Spencer

begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano