   Re: [xml-dev] rfc 1738

On Thu, 1 May 2003, Dave Pawson wrote:

> Trying to work out how a UNC might fit into XSLT, the document() function,
> which requires a uri.
>
> Tried various combinations, and (possibly because of the java sandbox)
> I can't retrieve a document from, for instance
> document('file://\\machine\\path\file.xml')
>    or the various combinations thereof.

The Java class that models both URNs and URLs (java.net.URI) was added only
in Java 1.4. Some XSLT processors may still be relying on java.net.URL to
interpret URIs in document(), include(), and import(). I don't know what
XSLT processor you are using, or what version of the JRE, but perhaps
this is the source of the problem that you are encountering.

// Gregory Murphy <Gregory.Murphy@sun.com>