   RE: [xml-dev] Extreme Schema-building and Query-writing (was Re:[xml-dev

> I came across an interesting article making a similar point.
> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/columns/article.php/2200011
> Basically, the author argues that XP is misnamed, it should be called
> "Xtremely Conservative Programming"

It's interesting to contrast these principles with the way I develop
Saxon:

> "1. Conservative Planning -- Plan only for the next release.

I don't even do that. My rule is "no planning allowed".

> 2. Conservative Scope Management -- Build the smallest
> deliverable possible

I reckon that if I ship more than once every 2-3 months, users won't be
able to keep pace.

> 3. Conservative vision -- Explain your design with a simple
> metaphor that
> everyone understands.

Not my problem: writing the spec and implementing it are completely
separate activities (even if I'm involved in both!)

4. Conservative testing -- Test everything, all
> the time.

I've often taken the opposite approach. Some things are very easy to
code but quite difficult to test. The users will tell you if it doesn't
work. If they don't, chances are the bugs don't matter.

5. Conservative coding -- Programmers aren't allowed to write any code
without
another programmer partner watching over their shoulder..."

No one is allowed to write any code except me.

Michael Kay