   RE: [xml-dev] XQuery articles on adtmag.com

  • To: "Mike Champion" <mc@xegesis.org>,"XML Dev" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] XQuery articles on adtmag.com
  • From: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 09:16:17 -0700

The XPath and XQuery data model stand as excellent concretizations of the XML Infoset that can be used as a basis for unifying the three vertices of the data triangle (relational<->object<->XML or ROX for short) which application developers have to work with on a daily basis. As Uche mentioned in his article, there are some of us that already consider this data model is the data model for XML especially strongly typed XML[0].

Recent articles in the Extreme XML column on MSDN show how the XPath data model can be used as a bridge to provide unified data access across the object<->XML[1] and relational<->XML[2] chasms.

However unlike Jonathan I don't see XQuery providing us with a unified programming model but it may just give us a Unified Query language which in my book is much more valuable than a programming language that attempts to span all three vertices of the data triangle.

[0] http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/12/19/datamodel.html
[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnexxml/html/xml03172003.asp
[2] http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnexxml/html/xml04212003.asp

--
PITHY WORDS OF WISDOM
Other people's tools only work in other people's gardens.