   Re: [xml-dev] XQuery articles on adtmag.com

Robie:
> '"In many development environments, people have to work with relational
> data, XML and data found in objects. These have three very different data
> models -- three very different ways of representing and manipulating data,"

I disagree with this classification - i think XML as a data representation
is extremely compatible with the object-oriented model and i don't see the
two as that different at all.

Conflicts emerge when you use strictly typed languages with no native
XML support and very limited tree-handling support to process data that
isn't necessarily typed, isn't necessarily structurally static and isn't
(if it's half-decent XML) flat.

Object-oriented XML is very possible, as proven by o:XML and i think that
others will follow ([1] and [2]).

Relational db's on the other hand - well no-one likes them, but we all
seem to need them. So let's make data mappings as painless as possible,
and that's where XQuery really fits in.

[1] http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1107-998361.html Programming for the 21st century - o:XML
[2] http://www.o-xml.org

/m