   Re: [xml-dev] Some random noise on rational type systems for XML

Joe English <jenglish@flightlab.com> wrote:

| But the _XML_ ur-type is string.  From the application point of view,
| you might have dates, integers, IEEE double precision floating point
| numbers, et cetera,

IOW, data content notations...

| but as far as XML is concerned everything is a string.

As the ur-type, yes, but there is one development of strings that I would
also consider intrinsic to XML: names (or maybe, name tokens).  It's all
about naming anyway.

| If we're talking about a rational type system _for XML_, then Amelia's
| first principle is eminently sensible.  In fact, I'd go even further
| and say it's the _only_ sensible foundation for an XML type system.

Agreed.

(XML missed incorporating the WebSGML TC's DATA declared value, and the TC
itself missed out on extending the concept as a replacement for NOTATION
attributes.  Oh well.)