   RE: [xml-dev] Ten new XQuery, XSLT 2.0 and XPath 2.0 Working

> That seems to illustrate a problem fundamental to the
> committee design process.

You are quite right, and this is why some standards (and products) fail.

I also think that the "defence of hard-won consensus" is the only way to
prevent committee-run projects taking an infinite length of time.

> there should be ample opportunity for designs to compete.

There is ample opportunity for competition. W3C does not have any kind
of monopoly. Its specifications will succeed only if sufficient numbers
of implementors and users adopt them. At present, the evidence is that
plenty of implementors and users will adopt XQuery, and that they want
it finished yesterday rather than sent back to the drawing board.

Michael Kay