   Re: [xml-dev] Blended Authentication (AKA "Granular Access Control")

The purpose of my example was to make more concrete and personal the issue
under discussion.  I'm still not sure how the principles you describe apply
to this kind of case, where there are legal and regulatory requirements
about who may have access to which data.  Could you explain more fully?

The hospital medical records system must know of the existence of the
corporate entities at least which are authorized to examine subsets of their
records using some kind of matching criteria.  The hospital may or may not
have some kind of legal contract (possibly enforced or not in the
interaction of their software systems) with each health insurance provider
spelling out terms of use of the data (in order to meet the hospital's legal
obligations, etc).  Whether or not there is some easy and automatic way to
meet these contract terms in the implementation (using certificates or
something), somewhere, someone, entered some token in the records of your
surgery specifying your insurance provider, so someone involved with System
B is aware of the existence of System A, at least in the abstract.
Similarly, System A must associate a medical claim it receives that refers
to the hospital with System B (this could be using some kind of URL), and it
is thus aware that System B exists and is a provider of a certain kind of
data.  It is also aware (perhaps by some kind of hardcoding, or perhaps by
looking at the URL) that it needs to provide certain kinds of authentication
and authorization tokens in order to gain access to System B's data.  These
considerations seem inescapable to me.  Am I missing something?

My previous note was not attempting to criticize the systems you design or
the principles under which they are designed, but to correct your
characterization, inaccurate in several areas of substance, of what I had
proposed.

Jeff