   Re: [xml-dev] Some random noise on rational type systems for XML

At 04:04 PM 5/11/2003 +1000, Rick Jelliffe wrote:
>If you make your ur-type "string", doesn't that mean that you are throwing
>out the value-space/lexical-space distinction?   How is a integer value
>a subtype of a string?

I see the lexical space issues as properly the domain of XML, while the
value-space issues belong to consumers of XML - much as XML 1.0
processors/parsers sort out the lexically-specified parts in a document,
while the application has responsibility for sorting out what those things
might mean.

An integer value would not be a subtype of a string.  Instead, it would be
an interpretation of a given lexical representation in a given context.

(Regular fragmentations[1] was designed along these lines.)

Maybe this is just later binding, but it seems to me to give text-oriented
folks what they need while letting data-heads do their thing in a
_separate_ space.  Unfortunately, while W3C XML Schema recognizes this
distinction, its types still operate on both sides.

[1] - http://simonstl.com/projects/fragment/