   Re: [xml-dev] Ten new XQuery, XSLT 2.0 and XPath 2.0 Working Drafts

At 04:43 PM 5/9/2003 -0500, Bob Foster wrote:
>From: "Jonathan Robie" <jonathan.robie@datadirect-technologies.com>
> > If the [validity] property does not exist on this node or any of its
> > ancestors, Infoset-only processing is applied:
> >
> >     ( This says how to maintain the types ID, IDREF, IDREFS, ENTITY,
> > ENTITIES, NMTOKEN, or NMTOKENS
> >        for DTD-validated Infosets )
> >
> > Otherwise, xs:anyType for elements or xs:anySimpleType for attributes.
> >
> >     ( In other words, the stuff is untyped. )
>
>I know I have trouble understanding 3.6 and I expect others do. If an
>element's complex type is not a named type, like nested declarations in XML
>Schema and _all_ DTD (or RELAX NG) complex types, what path through this
>guarantees that a) the actual complex type will be used to determine
>validity of the content model and b) the proper simple types will be
>assigned to attributes and elements?

Hi Bob,

The complex types of DTDs are not named types in the Data Model, and that
means that you can't match them with SequenceType in XQuery - there is no
type annotation to match.

If RELAX NG wants to define a mapping into our Data Model, that mapping
could produce named types. The XQuery and XSLT Working Groups have not
produced a mapping for RELAX NG.

Jonathan