   Re: [xml-dev] What are the characteristics of a good type system for XML

From: "Amelia A.Lewis" <amyzing@talsever.com>
> AndrewWatt2000@aol.com wrote:
> > What characteristics would a good type system for XML have?
>
> Slogan version: complete, consistent, comprehensible.

Hi Amelia,

I _think_ I agree with every point you have made, and I apologize for trying
to boil down your complex ideas into a few bullet points, but these seem to
me to be the nucleus of your criticism/proposal:

- A type system should be based on a small number of primitive types (much
smaller than those in XML Schema Datatypes) , and all other types should be
defined in terms of these.

-A type system should be extensible, but more than that, there should be
ways to introduce new type systems (for simple types).

- The ways that types can be extended should not be limited to a few
predefined parameters, e.g., the facets in XML Schema. A type system should
be able to define its own parameters.

- A type system should provide, for each type it produces, a function to
answer true or false if a given string is valid, a function to translate a
string into an instance of the type defined in terms of the primitive types
mentioned above, and a function to translate an instance of the type to a
string.

Please correct me if I have misinterpreted or over-simplified your remarks,
or injected my own ideas you don't agree with.

Bob