   Re: [xml-dev] Why XML?

"Rick Jelliffe" <ricko@allette.com.au> wrote:
| From: "David Megginson" <david@megginson.com>

 [on orthogonality of features in language design]

|> It's clearly a principle rarely put into practice (
|
| Its clearly a completely bogus principle!  In fact, for markup languages
| the reverse is true: having more forms makes data capture and modeling
| easier because you can choose the form that requires the least work.

True.

| E.g. (<![CDATA[ ]]> or  &amp; )

I've always wondered about this choice among baroque syntaxes.  Too bad
MSSCHAR wasn't suitably redefined for XML.

| and (element or attribute)

A permathread.

I think losing EMPTY declared content in syntax was a mistake.

| and ( y="z" or y='z').

Here I'm almost positive XML goofed.  This could have been exploited
profitably to distinguish CDATA from tokenizable attribute values.  (It's
a loss only for playing PE games with strings in the DTD.)

| The other bogus principle is that there should only be one syntax for
| everything.

Like pointy brackets? ;-)