   RE: [xml-dev] Defining Xlink in XMLschema

A word of caution (not about XLink specifically):

The namespace you used in your example,
http://www.w3c.org/1999/xlink
is NOT the namespace for XLink. You have an extra 'c' character. Conforming
processors are allowed (and likely) to ignore things not in the official
namespace. A difference of even a single character changes everything.

It should be:
http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink

Confusingly, if you access the first (incorrect) namespace URL with a
browser, you still get to an HTML page that says:

"This is an XML namespace defined in the XML Linking Language (XLink)
specification."

IMHO, Using URIs as a basis for namespaces works well for the qualities of
persistence and uniqueness, but the technique causes serious usability
problems due to all the extra baggage associated with URIs/URLs.

Thanks,

.micah