   RE: [xml-dev] having problems with the "|" in field's element in the xs

Good point. Now I'm sure I was wrong. I'm going to try this against a couple validators and see if they get it right.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Riegel [mailto:BRiegel@lgc.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 12:05 PM
To: 'xml-dev@lists.xml.org'
Subject: [xml-dev] having problems with the "|" in field's element in the xs:key el ement

NameTest

   ::=

QName | '*' | NCName ':' '*'

Field

[5]

Path

   ::=

('.//')? ( Step '/' )* ( Step | '@' NameTest )

Schema Component Constraint: Fields Value OK

All of the following must be true:

   1 Each member of the {fields} must be a valid XPath expression, as defined in [XPath].

   2 One of the following must be true:

   2.1 It must conform to the extended BNF given above for Selector, with the following                 modification:

My interpretation is for field, just change the Path definition that was used in the Selector definition

So. Field becomes:

Field

   ::=

Path ( '|' Path)*

[2]

Path

   ::=

('.//')? ( Step '/' )* ( Step | '@' NameTest )

[3]

Step

   ::=

'.' | NameTest

[4]

NameTest

   ::=

QName | '*' | NCName ':' '*'

XMLSpy treats it this way. ( Or so I believe, based on my testing. )

Bill Riegel

LandMark Graphics

713-839-3388