   Re: [xml-dev] Syntax + object model

On Fri, 2003-05-23 at 20:59, Gregory Murphy wrote:
> On Fri, 23 May 2003, Gustaf Liljegren wrote:
>
> > Maybe 5 years to late, but I never really understood the argument about why
> > a standardized syntax is better than a standardized object model. It sounds
> > right, but I can't explain why.
>
> There are still people using markup languages to do just that: mark up
> text.

"Still"? :-)

Making text more usable remains the primary raison d'etre for markup
languages. Sure, XML is handy for encapsulating rectangular data for
transient exchanges between consenting disparate systems, and may well
end up as the greater volume, but I suspect the more persistent
duration will lie with text.

> Documents exist chiefly as a stream of text, not as objects. In most
> books, the order in which you read the paragraphs is important.

Right. Paragraphs don't want to be treated as text objects :-)

///Peter