   RE: Re: [xml-dev] Syntax + object model

grimlinda@earthlink.net (Linda Grimaldi) writes:
>Levels of communication make the world go 'round- XML is one level,
>ontologies another.  Where you don't need semantic consensus, don't
>bother. Where you need the agreement (and can get it) do so, and allow
>some flexibility to accommodate levels of variance and evolution.
>This is the advantage of RDF over CORBA and other strict object
>models- just because I use the word "class" and borrow some useful
>constructs now and again does not necessarily make me an object
>zealot. I'm just acknowledging that the concepts do come in handy for
>a certain class (no pun intended :>)) of problems.

Except that I get fed up with ontologists who keep coming round and
asking why we bother with this mere syntactical stuff, and explaining it
gets more than a little irksome.  Maybe they're just trolls, maybe they
genuinely believe that syntax isn't interesting, but damn they're
annoying.

When I most need agreement, I can't get it, and I certainly can't get it
usefully documented.  When I don't need agreement, it comes pretty
easily.  Workarounds are the best part of XML, as the syntax keeps them
possible.

>We have the benefit of many available tools, built around the same
>syntactic structure.  Use the ones that do you good and throw out the
>rest- until the next problem, when you just might need them.

I throw out most of them, all of the time.  Works fine for me.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!