   Re: [xml-dev] Syntax + object model

Joshua Allen wrote:
> Ontologists are happy to use whatever syntax
> works.  They used interchange syntax like KIF before there was XML, and
> now they use XML when it makes sense.

I think we've been through this muddle before with Lisp and XML, and
RDF and XML before that. Enough already.

KIF isn't an interchange syntax, it's an interlingua. KIF happens to
be inscribed using sexps, but you could switch it XML without losing
  any meaning so long as you can feed that flavour to a KIF aware
engine - I heard Genesereth was going to do just that at one point
(don't know if that's still going to happen).

In this area the main focus of an ontologist is an interlingua not
an interchange. Naturally XML is somewhat incidental, but it's a
handy carrier because it's very popular at the moment. Changing KIF
syntax from sexps to XML isn't so different to porting a KIF engine
from C++ to Java.

Bill de hÓra
--
Propylon