   Re: [xml-dev] Syntax + object model

"Joshua Allen" <joshuaa@microsoft.com> wrote, qouting without attribution:

|> What's there to explain?  They can't do ontology without syntax, we
|> can do syntax without ontology, and they can't stand that.
|
| This seems completely opposite to me.  Replace "they" with "I", and it
| fits this mailing list.

Hardly.

| Ontologists are happy to use whatever syntax works.

If only the new brand of ontologists did, rather than encourage pushback
on a syntax which happens to have caught the public fancy of late.

| The real issue here is self-declared defenders of markup complaining
| about the need for data models.

Right.  There is no inherent need.  That's what markup is all about, as a
matter of fact.

| That's certainly what XML-DEV's permathread centers on, and leads to all
| sorts of bizarre comments like "if you want a data model, don't go near
| my beautiful XML! Use ASN.1!"

Or data content notations.

| I think everyone who cares has already heard a million times the story:
| * markup is very useful even for people who do not care about data
|   models

Correct.

| * markup in absence of data models has glorious features like entities
|   and DTDs

Random potshot.  You could fruitfully open a discussion of what DTDs do
and don't, but casual denigration from a position of ignorance isn't
helping you to make a point.

| * markup is misunderstood and underappreciated

And then some.  The Clue Quotient has had a downward trend for quite a
while now.

| * people who can understand and appreciate markup are saltier than you

If you insist.

| Years have passed, and syntax and data model are coexisting peacefully.

Glad to hear it.  Leave well enough alone.