   Re: [xml-dev] Vocabulary Combination

At 12:02 AM 5/29/2003 -0700, Tim Bray wrote:
>Don't be silly.  Why would you want names that are unique on a wide scale
>if you weren't going to be combining vocabularies?

That's not a silly question.

I use namespace identifiers in most of my processing, even when I don't
plan to be combining vocabularies in single documents.  It means I can
create pipelines which handle multiple vocabularies correctly, for
instance, even when using tools that have long since forgotten that DOCTYPE
exists.

The vocabulary-combination issue seems to have driven the scoping issues
and made for a lot of never-ending conversations.  While I've written code
that now deals with the scoping, it's still vastly complicating, and only
rarely useful - I have a hard time seeing that as having hit an 80/20.