   Standards and Namespaces - tangling two threads

  [in a standards committee]

True enough, but that has led us to a somewhat pathological situation where
OASIS TCs and W3C WG's have an unmanageable number of people involved
mainly to get visibility or to jump on what looks like a bandwagon.  (The
clearest example right now is the WSBPEL TC at OASIS, which has more than
100 members).

> (SAX is one of the few examples of a de-facto standard developed by a
> mailing list, outside of a formal standards process.)

One is tempted to speculate about the lessons for standardization that SAX
offers.  Maybe the folks who wrote SAX just plucked the low-hanging fruit,
and it's all gone now.  But maybe the fact that it was done by "extreme
specwriting" -- the "customers" were represented, there was a "what's the
simplest thing that could actually work?" mindset, there was a willingness
to learn from what went before but also to refactor it as necessary --
accounts for its success.

> resistance to learning proprietary technologies such as proprietary APIs
> or query languages makes the market reluctant to adopt innovative
> technologies from smaller companies.

[bringing in the namespaces thread, risking trolldom, and realizing that
hindsight is 20:20!]