   Re: [xml-dev] Vocabulary Combination and optional namespaces

Bill de hÓra wrote:

>  coding against XML is simpler and cheaper when there are no
> namespaces in the document. That cost is there because namespace are not
> syntactic - they neccessitated a model of a universal name, not a token
> for a universal name.

The first sentence is correct.  Coding against XML is simpler and
cheaper when all the tags come from one vocabulary; clearly there is a
cost when you have to get into handler dispatching and multi-schema
validation and so on.  I think what you're really arguing is that there
are ways to deal with this which are both cheaper than, and just as
general as, the namespaces mechanism.  This is a much more constructive
argument than the "Namespaces hurt my tender sensibilities" permathread
that's been going on around here!

If you want another approach to be perceived as a serious competitor,
you probably need to write it up in a relatively coherent form and
publish it somewhere on the Web.  Or has that been done?

Perhaps you need to step back a space.  Namespaces in XML claims to
allow disambiguation of names from different vocabularies, which it
does.  I think you're also arguing that this is the the wrong problem to
try and solve.

Anyhow, write it all down, post it or submit it to a conference or
something, and see whether you can start a revolution.  To improve your
chances, identify some working software that implements your approach.

  -Tim

--
Cheers, Tim Bray
         (ongoing fragmented essay: http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/)