   Re: [xml-dev] Looking for an example of a name colliision

  • To: "Chiusano Joseph" <chiusano_joseph@bah.com>
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Looking for an example of a name colliision
  • From: "Bob Foster" <bob@objfac.com>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 00:01:33 -0500
  • Cc: Bill de hÓra <bill@dehora.net>,<xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

From: "Chiusano Joseph" <chiusano_joseph@bah.com>
> <Quote>
> <author title="Contracts" title="Professor" title="13">James
> Vleek</author>
> </Quote>
>
> The "title" attribute above cannot be repeated.

Of course not, but the questioner asked for an example of a name collision
that required namespaces for disambiguation. So I posited an author element
with a title attribute and two annotations also named "title". IOW:

<author title="Contracts" abc:title="Professor" xyz:title="13">James
Vleek</author>

But I agree a not well-formed example detracts from the point, so here is
exactly the same example using elements instead of attributes:

<author name="James Vleek">
  <title>Contracts</title>
  <abc:title>Professor</abc:title>
  <xyz:title>13</xyz:title>
</author>

Which would be well-formed, but ambiguous, without the namespaces.

Such examples arise out of a common use case, e.g., the "foreign elements"
allowed by RELAX NG and XML Schema. A schema can be decorated with foreign
elements from more than one domain; only the namespaces of the elements
prevent collisions.

Bob