   Re: [xml-dev] W3C Voting (Was: XML Catalogs finished?)

On 4 Jun 2003 AndrewWatt2000@aol.com wrote:
> If I understand the jargon correctly the Advisory Committee is, de facto, the
> membership of the W3C.
>
> So can the Advisory Committee vote down a Proposed Recommendation? It seems
> that, formally at least, that is the only time the whole membership of the W3C
> has a vote - although it doesn't seem to be actually spelled out in the
> Process document whether they have a vote or not.
>
> Or is Advisory Committee "review" essentially a rubber stamping exercise?

The Advisory Committee in theory reviews the specification and gives
advice to the Director of W3C on what to do. It is then the Director
who makes the decision.

In practice what the Advisory Committee members (one per company) say
is taken very seriously when the Director (in practice, some subset
of the W3C staff and the Director) makes the decision. I don't know
that it's ever happened, but I would expect the if a majority of
Advisory Committee representatives were against a specification, that
it would not be made a Recommendation until the problems were fixed.
W3C process, however, would make it difficult for any spec to get
that far without the problems becoming obvious. I would expect most
problems to surface at Last Call if not before, which is two process
steps before Proposed Recommendation.

cheers,

Lauren