   Re: [xml-dev] Unicode normalization tools

John Cowan wrote:

>>I've looked at ICU a couple of times and been horrified by the sheer
>>volume and the learning curve, and both times decided it was quicker and
>>safer to code up whatever-it-was myself.
>
> That works if you have the utmost confidence in your personal ability to
> get it right.  For most programmers, that's a dangerous attitude to take
> around the guts of Unicode.

I disagree; I find that Unicode is unusually crystal-clear and
programmer-friendly among standards.  Whenever I've wanted to do
something specific (which admittedly hasn't up till now included
normalization), I've poked around a bit and found what I needed
somewhere in a combination of the online docs and Unicode-Data files,
and had pretty good results just banging out the code.

--
Cheers, Tim Bray
         (ongoing fragmented essay: http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/)