   RE: [xml-dev] Doc vs. Data

At 2003-06-06 13:03 -0700, Dare Obasanjo wrote:
>If you want to transform XML use XSLT. Doing so with a parser be it pull
>or push based seems to be hard way to crack that nut IMHO.

Sorry, Dare, I was talking about the push vs. pull based processing when
using XSLT.  I'm not sure what you mean when talking about pull or push
with respect to XML processing.

>I've mentioned many times on the "No typing in XPath/XSLT 2.0" permathread
>that one is not required to know or utilize XML Schema if one is working
>on untyped XML in Xpath/XSLT 2.0. However it is true that XPath is now
>strongly typed and no longer weakly typed which is probably a rude shock
>for users of XPath/XSLT 1.0

If I'm obliged (perhaps by my customer's choice of tools) to use W3C Schema
for the purposes of constraint checking, my understanding is that there is
then no way to utilize XPath/XSLT 2.0 as simple text for text processing
purposes (not typed-data processing purposes).  Yes, that is a painful (not
just rude) shock.

Some people (and vendors!) are led to believe the only migration from the
DTD expression of constraints is the W3C Schema type-based expression of
constraints.  This is unfortunate when that migration path changes the
nature of how to work with XML instances.

.................... Ken

--
Upcoming hands-on courses: (registration still open!)
-      (XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO) North America: June 16-20, 2003

G. Ken Holman                mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0   +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                      Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                              Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-11-X              Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners:    http://XMLGuild.info
Male Breast Cancer Awareness http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/bc