   XML Applications: HTTP Traffic logger

Hey All,

 I am quite new to XML application development. I am interested in
developing an XML based application set and I require your advise to begin
design/developing it.

 The task is simple. I want to extend a HTTP perl proxy [1] to log the HTTP
traffic that it sees in XML. The reason I require XML here is very clear,
later I want to be able to 'replay' the recorded log. I believe that XML
will help me simplify the replay application.

 I already have accomplished part of the task, the HTTP proxy works and it
logs the traffic it passes through. However, the XML that it generates
cannot be validated by an XML validator.

 In the interest of getting the job done right, I want to learn how I can
begin generating well-formed XML from HTTP traffic. This would also help in
later, creating an intuitive interface to the log.

 My question is, Is there an existing standardized XML schema for this
purpose that I could follow? If not, then what resources should I be
looking at to come up with a good schema to encapsulate:
  1. URL's
  2. HTML Pages
  3. Other Binary data

 This the first time I am developing an XML-based application and therefore
I am a little lost about how I might adhere to standards.

 Thank you for your time. If this is the incorrect list for such posts, I
apologize in advance.

Best Regards,
Santosh Dawara
Graduate Student