   Re: XUL and Java - Back to the Future

On Sat, 7 Jun 2003 22:06:44 -0400 (EDT)
Gerald Bauer wrote:

> Luxor is an open-source XML User Interface Language
> (XUL) toolkit in Java that supports handpicked Mozilla
> XUL goodies and includes a web server, a portal engine
> (supporting RSS), a template engine (Velocity), a
> scripting interpreter (Python) and more.

[snip]

>   Any thoughts?

<flame>
It's often said that programmer time is more expensive than CPU time.
I have a problem with this. Who does the programmer write a program
for? The end-user, more often than not. There certainly is no
concensus on whether user time is more expensive than programmer time
(esp. since there may be thousands of users for each programmer). I,
as a programmer, tend to consider user time more expensive.

The user's been damned to a point where anything that happens without
displaying a progress meter is considered startling. Just today I saw
a Netscape 7.0 ad faking a progress bar that checked for browser
version while I bet that ad was included in the page because my
browser was detected /before/ the page was put together.

Thus, as a programmer I've never written Java programs meant for
computationally intensive apps, nor, as a user, do I run a single Java
application on my machine.
</flame>

--
Tahir Hashmi (VSE, NCST)
code_martial AT softhome DOT net

We, the rest of humanity, wish GNU luck and Godspeed