   Re: [xml-dev] XUL and Java - Back to the Future

Hi,

> >Has anyone taken a close look at Mozilla's XUL (XML
> >User Interface Language) and considered using it
> for
> >projects outside of Mozilla?
> >
> >I'd be interested in hearing what folks think about
> >XUL in general, and thoughts about its use outside
> >Mozilla in particular.
>
> I don't think what you're offering answers that very
> old question.

  Then be so kind and tell us what you're looking for?
Or is it that you don't care anymore?

> "Handpicked Mozilla XUL goodies" isn't what I had in
> mind by XUL.

  I guess you didn't get it. If I may clarify: Luxor
is not a subset or clone of Mozilla XUL, instead Luxor
is a cleaned up, "legacy-free" XUL version.

  For example, Luxor doesn't support Mozilla's XUL
specific template syntax using <template> tags;
instead Luxor lets you use Apache Velocity, XSL/T or
Jelly. Luxor doesn't force you to use RDF for
datamodels but lets you use XML+XPath, JDBC,
Collections and much more. Luxor sports new tags such
on.

> If I ask for XUL, I'm looking for the XUL defined by
> Mozilla, whether or
> not it's in the Mozilla context.

  I guess you haven't grasped the concept of
competition, either. You might wonna study Microsoft
further. Your Microsoft Office 2003 and XML talk
slides are a good start online @
http://simonstl.com/articles/officeXML  Why not
revisit your InfoPath (Microsoft XML Forms) slide @
http://simonstl.com/articles/officeXML/infopath.html

  If I may quote:

<quote>
Reinventing XForms. Microsoft has fairly consistently
denied any competition between InfoPath and the W3C's
XForms work in profess, but both are definitely
working on the same problem set with some different
approaches and features.
<quote>

and

<quote>
Proprietary built on Common. The guts of InfoPath are
familiar JavaScript, XML, and CSS, but they're
extended and integrated with a new set of tools that
isn't publicly available or specified cooperatively.
</quote>

  See the connection. For XUL to move foward it needs
to break free from Mozilla and as you say "specified
cooperatively".

 - Gerald