   Re: [xml-dev] xPath 2.0, XSLT 2.0 ... size increase over v1.0

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 09:54:39PM +0100, Michael Kay wrote:

> > Comparison (number of printed pages of the specification)
> >
> > xPath 1.0   xPath 2.0   increase
> > ----------------------------------
> >   45          254         564%
> >

> > XSLT 1.0     XSLT 2.0    increase
> > ----------------------------------
> >   128         385         301%
> >

> And your conclusion is?
>
> I think that if you actually measure the size of the languages by number
> of productions, operators, elements, attributes, etc, then you find
> XPath has grown by about 70% and XSLT by around 40% - which is an annual
> growth rate of about 10-15%. The rest of the growth in the document
> sizes represents more thorough specification of each language feature.

  Well, there is more dependancies still, if you add the Schemas ones, then
suddenly the production count increases drastically. Just the regexp
productions for annex F of Datatype is about 37 productions, and most of
those specs are actually not made from a formal grammar.
  I agree with you that pure number of page count from a spec might not
be a good indicator of the actual complexity of implementation though.

Daniel