   RE: [xml-dev] xPath 2.0, XSLT 2.0 ... size increase over v1.0

Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr> writes:

> No. XSLT 2.0 brings in useful things that will make it (in
> appearance) an easy
> sell, such as inclusion of text (for processors that don't
> support XInlude) or
> regexen.

The one XSLT 2 feature that I find myself wanting more than any other is
proper node-set handling.  I don't think I need explain that... Next up
is multi-modal templates. I find that sort of strange, since mostly it's
for "trash this node" handling which doesn't have a lot of maintenance
overhead even when cut and paste 3 or 4 times. None-the-less the fact
that you can't have multiple modes on a single template has irritated me
pretty much since the first day I started using XSLT 1.0. Next up would
be regex, but it's not something I find myself wanting a lot.

Back in the days when I had time to hang out on the xslt list I found
myself giving a use case where strong typing would help us.  Now-a-days,
I've worked around it so much I no longer want it.  Essentially, we can
annotate a node from the back end with a type attribute and be done with
it once and for all; pretty much everything we ever needed to do with
types is now possible.

My bottom line? Saxon with 1.1 support goes a long way, add in
multi-mode support and I really wouldn't have any current reason to
switch to 2.0...