   Re: [xml-dev] Market-driven vice Committee-driven technology evolution

Roger L. Costello wrote:

> To my mind there are two ways for a technology to evolve:
>
> (1) A committee has complete reigns on the technology and decides how it
> evolves.  [...]
> (2) A group creates the initial framework.  That ends its role.  From
> then on the technology evolves independently, in a distributed fashion
> as the market demands. [...]

Also:

(3) A small group creates an initial implementation, and is
    in complete control of its evolution.  If it proves popular,
    other groups may later create independant implementations.
    That's when it's time to form a committee.

Standardization is only necessary when multiple implementations
need to interoperate.

--Joe English

  jenglish@flightlab.com