   Re: [xml-dev] xPath 2.0, XSLT 2.0 ... size increase over v1.0

I go back to my previous point - if this gets too big it'll never be
really used except by enthusiasts

C is successful because it's both small - and therefore can be easily
understood - and complete.

SQL is relatively small, and based on very sound mathematics (as is C).

To my mind, XML 1.0 and XSLT 1.0 are complete, simple, and very
powerful. As a language independent description of something XML is
bulky, but effective because of it's neutrality. XSLT as a preprocessor
to a target language or display completes a very nice pairing.

My personal test of the soundness of programming languages and
techniques is that i should be able to use them without constant
reference to a manual or a "tool to make it easy". therefore i don't use
java, dislike many modern graphic environments and development tools,
and fear for the future of this great technology.

the simple formula for measuring all this has to installed and working
software (however it's measured) vs man hours to produce it. so there
has to be a lot of productivity to make constant reference to 1000 page
manuals worthwhile.

rick marshall