   Re: [xml-dev] xPath 2.0, XSLT 2.0 ... size increase over v1.0

From: "Murali Mani" <mani@CS.UCLA.EDU>

> Regarding mathematical properties: in particular, closure properties.
>
> The operations being closed under regular tree languages might be
> desirable property..
>
> I have seen two kinds of operations under which regular tree languages are
> not closed.. that is the result is not a regular tree language..
>
> (a) Consider the schema:
> S -> s (A, S, B) | s ()
> A -> a ()
> B -> b ()
>
> if we write a query like // (a | b) -- the result is (a^n b^n) which is
> not regular tree language..

The result is not a tree, it is a sequence (a()^n, b()^n). The result is not
a property of the query but of the schema. The schema, a regular tree
grammar, describes the derivation tree of the context-free language:

s ->
s-> a s b

where s is non-terminal and a,b are terminals, which is the set of strings
a^n, b^n, n >= 0. So it is not surprising that the query result sequence is
the same set of strings.

Bob