   RE: [xml-dev] UTF-8 use with XML

Mr. Craig,

I translated it to:

<BirthCity>K???/BirthCity>

Note the question marks; unfortunately, I don't know what the problem
characters (Hex: EF, BF, BD; Base-10: 239, 191, 189) mean.  However, the
characters in binary are:

3C=0011 1100
EF=1110 1111
BF=1011 1111
BD=1011 1101

Notice that the '<' character (3C) has only two bits different from the
BD character (extra 1's in the BD).  There might be data corruption
causing that (perhaps the xml-writing program is broken).

Mr. Bray,

> Which is to say <BirthCity>K&#xfffd;/Birthcity>

How'd you figure that out?  I looked up the character name from a HTML
entity reference table, which I thought mirrored UTF-8's character
codes.

--
Jimmy Cerra

] "I have learned these days, never to limit
]  anyone else due to my own limited
]  imagination." - Dr. Mae C. Jemison