   Re: [xml-dev] having problems using the all compositor

Bill Riegel <BRiegel@lgc.com> writes:

> Structure
>
> <Table>
>   <attribute1>name</attribute1>
>   <attribute2>5</attribute2>
>   <out_of_hierarchy_table1>
>     <attribute1>red</attribute1>
>   </out_of_hierarchy_table1>
>   <out_of_hierarchy_table2>
>     <attribute1>green</attribute1>
>   </out_of_hierarchy_table2>
>   <child_table1>
>     <attribute1>cow</attribute1>
>   </child_table1>
>   <child_table2>
>     <attribute1>horse</attribute1>
>   </child_table2>
> </Table>
>
> Desire:
> 	What to have an order that dictates:
> 	Table's attributes occurs first
> 	Out_of_hiearchy_tables occur second
> 	Child_tables occur last.
>
> 	But with each group allow an un-order list.
> 	i.e. allow attribute2 before attribute1
> 	     allow out_of_hiearchy_table2 before out_of_hierarchy_table1
> 	     allow child_table2 before child_table1

W3C XML Schema cannot achieve this if the elements involved are
restricted to appear exactly once.  You are only allowed one all group
which must be the entire content model.

So either you have to wrap the three groups in their own elements,
e.g. <attributes>, <ooh_tables> and <child_tables>,
which are strictly ordered in a sequence, and which each have an
<xs:all> model, or just fix an order and stick with it.

ht
                      Half-time member of W3C Team