   Re: [xml-dev] Create XML

Why not just use some XSD schema centric Java to XML binding tool
like JAXB, Castor?

How does AXIS serialization/deserialization compare with Castor or
JAXB? In theory a XML serializable Java Bean object should be
serializable by the AXIS handlers, right?

Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com> wrote:

> > XML output is almost always more complex than you think at any given time.
> > I'm sure that even having written a lot of XML output code, I haven't
> > exhausted the realm of potential gotchas.
>
> That's disappointing.
>
> Developers should feel safe and comfortable generating XML with print
> statements, knowing that only < and & are special. I'm sure (as your
> article points out), it *can* be more complicated, but in most cases it
> never needs be.
>
> The problem with "just as an XML API" is that you usually have to build up
> a DOM or Infoset or some such, and then call a serialization routine.
> That's often ridiculously heavyweight for the task at hand.

I hear ya.

To be fair, my post should be leavened by the fact that peopl always have to
make trade-offs between safety and convenience. The only way to be entirely
safe is to live one's life in a cocoon. So saying "thou shalt always use an
XML API, or thou will perish" is probably a bit much. As another poster said,
the experience of the developer is a key factor in the decision.

Of course I've seen enough carelessness out there that advising people to use
an API has become my default position. It's pert self-preservation. Let me
tell you, it really bites to have to follow workflow back and forth in a
complex project to see who is spitting out he broken XML.

--
Uche Ogbuji Fourthought, Inc.
http://uche.ogbuji.net http://4Suite.org http://fourthought.com